Friday, July 17, 2015

Need to motivate kids in math? Try a 3 Act Lesson!!

     What is a 3 act lesson?  It is a mathematical problem which is presented in 3 acts; much like a movie.  Act 1 presents a problematic situation in a video and/or photo and sparks kids curiosity.  In Act 2 students compose the question which they will solve, gather resources, estimation, and begin to work together to solve the problem.  Act 3, much like a good movie, resolves the conflict and in this case presents the answer.    This is a powerful way to get kids to solve very in-depth real world problems.  
      I have to tell you that I can take no credit for this awesome idea.  Three-Act lessons are the brain child of a young high school math teacher; Dan Meyer, who likes to say that he came up this structure to motivate people (students) who are forced by law to buy a product (math) that they don’t want :-)  While this phenomenon started as a high school structure, I embrace this as also a very powerful instructional tool at the elementary level (even down to the Pre-K level).  I have borrowed and adapted some elementary ideas from Graham Fletcher (out of GA) as well as written many of my own.  If you are interested in checking this out, check out my 3-act lesson website:  https://sites.google.com/a/wcps.k12.md.us/3-act-lessons—elementary/ .


      If you are already doing 3 Act lessons in elementary I would love to hear about it – leave me a comment below.  



No comments:

Post a Comment