Monday, October 5, 2015

More FREE online books for kids!

Tonight, I'm not going to blog about math.  You know, I love math, but I love BOOKS too!!  In fact, as a mom of a 3rd and 7th grader I'm constantly on the search for books to read at home with my kiddos.  My husband says that I'll never be happy until I have library the size of Thomas Jefferson and....he's probably right.  The wonderful part of living in a digital age is that I don't have to have hundreds of book shelves, I just need access to wifi.

Recently I have come across 2 wonderful sources of books for kids.  Both sites include LEVELED....yes that's right, I said LEVELED text!  The first is ZING (thanks Diane for sharing this)!
Check out Zing's promo video here.  This site has books leveled by F&P level as well as lexile.  I'm also so impressed that each book includes response and multiple choice questions at the end of each book.  In addition students can highlight and make notes.  Each teacher can set up and assign books to individual students or the whole class.  Also impressive to me is that they have a good selection of text about MATH!!  Sign up for a free account and check it out!

Another site for books is EPIC.  I used to PAY for this service for my 3rd grader (who is a struggling reader) so that I would have more books of his level to choose from at home but it's now FREE for educators!    These books are leveled by grade (so for my struggling 3rd grader I ask for grade 2 books).  They use their own leveling assessment but it will at least give you a place to start.  This site has many books to choose from and as students read rewards them with items to decorate their avatar.  One other feature I like is that it tells students if they have read the book too fast and will not give them credit if they just flip pages.  Additionally, students can hear the books read to them by pressing the audio button.    I really like the selection of books at this site.  My son love the Scaredy Squirrel book series and they can all be found on the site!  Be sure to select that you are an educator when you sign up.  This site also has an APP.
You can also find some ebooks on the WeGiveBooks site.  This is a site where the books are ever changing.  The more books you read on the site, the more money they give away to promote literacy across the world through this nonprofit organization.  The books at this site are not leveled and books that are there today might be gone tomorrow.  But...none the less...great and popular books can be found here for FREE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment