Friday, August 11, 2017

Number Talks - Getting the Math Mathematical "Bang for your Buck"

Number Talks have been around for many years but are gaining momentum again with Jo Boaler's book, Mathematical Mindsets and her Youcubed.org site and Facebook page.  This wonderful math routine is an easy way to begin to change the culture of mathematics and thinking in any PK-8 classroom.

Many teachers, who have not yet experienced the power of regular number talks are beginning to search out ways to incorporate this routine into their classrooms.  They are asking things like...."where do I begin?" and "how do I teach my kids to do number talks?".

In our county, Washington County, MD we purchased the original Sherry Parrish book, for every classroom teacher K-5 in our county.  The book comes with videos so you can see number talks in action.  Through the use of the book we began using (just trying them out really to see what would happen) them in our classrooms.  Personally I found that the most important thing is teaching children that this is a thinking conversation and that it is important for students to question each other about their thinking and reasoning (in a kind way) is vital to creating a great math mindset in your classroom.

What resources did I use to learn about Number Talks?


Number Talks by Sherry Parrish was the very first exposure I had to Number Talks.  It is comprehensive in introducing someone to this powerful routine.

Teachingchannel.org also has some good videos of Number Talks in action.


After the original Number Talk book had been out for several years, Sherry Parrish released the long awaited Fraction Number Talks book!  I could hardly wait to get my hands on this text.  We purchased, at the school level, a copy for each teacher in grade 3-5 and begin dipping into the text last year.  I hope to model more of these lessons this year in my new building!    This book also has links to videos to help teachers get started.

I also found the book Number Sense Routines:  Building Numerical Literacy Every Day in Grades K-3 by Jessica F. Shumway.  This book is also a great resource but I still think that the Sherry Parrish books are much more comprehensive.

I hope to be able to help you think about how you might "kick off" a year of Number Talks in your classroom here on this blog.  I will tell you that once you start Number Talks and get them up and running, it becomes fairly simple to plan them.

Number Talks - A Mental Exercise
I want to first make sure to explain that number talks are meant as a mental math exercise with thinking being recorded in a place where all students can see it.  This is sort of like a "shared reading" experience where the class class being able to "see the math thinking" is vital!  I am a number talks PURIST in that I believe kids need to being doing their thinking mentally and not on dry erase boards or paper.  We share the thinking they do in their heads on a common recording - chart paper, dry erase board, under the document camera, etc....  I really like capturing our thinking from day to do so we can refer back to it.  One year I had a reacher who used a composition book to do the class recordings and projected it under the document camera.  That way, each day they could "flip back" to thinking from prior days if they needed to.  It was also a great way to capture student thinking to reflect on as a teacher.

Number Talk - Location, Location, Location
Location, I believe, is important when setting up number talks.  I think kids need a "change of venue" for this routine.  Brain research says that you can active the brain by moving.  I like, even with big kids, to get them out of their seats and move them to a different location.  For me, ideally, it is a common carpet area.  This might dictate how you and your students record their thinking.  If you are on your carpet you may not be able to view your boards and will need a dry erase easel or chart paper in the area to capture their thinking.

Initial Number Talks Lesson Timing
Keep in mind that number talks are a routine that should be completed in a session of 10-15 minutes each time you do them.  I will tell you that when I am introducing them the first 3-5 lessons take longer than normal because I am teaching my students routines and setting the stage for great discussions.  I am upfront with my kids and tell them that once we get up and running we will only do these for 10-15 mins.  I have never had a class that did not LOVE number talks once we got them going but because of this the kids tend to want to spend a lot more than 10 minutes with them.  I often have to set a timer because it is easy for me to let these great conversations go and then miss out on the other great thinking activities we need to be doing in the rest of our math block.

In the Parrish book she has "sets" or strings of problems listed by strategy.   Keep in mind that these problems can be solved with many different strategies even if they are listed as one particular strategy.  But, if you use them for a while, you will see why she crafts the strings of the problems the way she does to build that particular strategy.   Once I am up and running I use one or two (depending on how fast they solve) strings of problems per day.  Here is a sample string I use early on in grade 5 if I am hoping to highlight the "friendly number" strategy:

19 + 2         This first string is very accessible to all students in that they can make 20 and 
19 + 5         then add on the remaining amount.  After we solve this string (and they do 
19 + 8         quickly) I amp up the level.
19 + 12

99 + 5         Here is a place I might go if they did well with the first set (in the same day).
99 + 15
99 + 26
99 + 51

In the first several lessons I set the stage for a year of number talks by facilitating lessons that help them learn these things:
  • the purpose of number talks.
  • how we grow our minds through thinking and discussing.
  • how we "kindly" talk (student to student) and question our thinking.
  • how we can utitlize the strategies we have learned to solve problems in multiple different ways.
  • how they can share their thinking even if they haven't figured out the final answer in their head.
Stay tuned for initial lesson specifics in the coming days! 



No comments:

Post a Comment